Japanese import double album of Nirvana's finest live performances
There's something special about Japanese vinyl. Better sleeves, better inners, more detail, those beautiful obi-strips. The vinyl shines like no other and the audio quality is amongst the best there is. Plus there sometimes the bonus of having dual-language lyric inserts. For me, there's only one thing better than a Japanese record; having a Japanese Nirvana record.
From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah was released in 1996 and comprises 21 live tracks from various shows around the world, including the 1991 shows in Amsterdam, Paramount Theatre, Seattle and Del Mar Fairgrounds, California. There are two 'non-songs' that book end the album; the intro screamfest and the 'rantings' of side D. Sandwiched in between these two are some of the best live performances from a band that had everything and then had nothing. If you're a regular reader, you know Nirvana are 'my band'. Kurt was (and still is) my first rock idol and I'll never forget the day I heard that terrible news. But when they were at their height, they were untouchable. This album reflects that. There are some cracking performances of songs that span the four studio albums, ranging from School and Blew from Bleach, to live favourites Drain You and Lithium from Nevermind. From Silver and Spank Thru (one of my top 3 Nirvana tracks) from Incesticide to Milk It and Tourettes from the awesome In Utero. It does feel like it's a 'set', maybe with the omission of another top 3 favourite Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.
MCA Victor and Geffen saw the release of this album to re-release the other five Nirvana albums alongside it and these are easily identifiable by the distinctive purple obi strip. However, the catalogue number for The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah doesn't follow the re-issue catalogue numbers:
Bleach: MVJG 25002
Incesticide: MVJG 25003
In Utero: MVJG 25004
Unplugged In New York: MVJG 25005
From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah: MVJG 32001-2 (the last 2 denotes a double album)
The sleeve is wrapped with a purple obi strip which features individual track details and information about the other re-released albums. The rear cover image is the same as used on the Aneurysm promo CD which came out to promote the album. The two inners contain familiar artwork to the CD version. There are anti-static inners to these inners! There's also a Japanese inner booklet with some interesting information I presume. The two records are pristine, unplayed pieces of beautifulness. No crackles, no pops, no spindle marks on the labels which are all in English.
This is a fantastic album and it's one I keep coming back to time and time again. Prices vary wildly for this album but a mint one should set you back around £50.
- School (Recorded by VPRO-TV in Amsterdam, Holland, at Paradiso, November 25,1991)
- Drain You (Recorded by Westwood One at Del Mar Fairgrounds, CA, on December 28, 1991)
- Aneurysm (Recorded by Westwood One at Del Mar Fairgrounds, CA, on December 28, 1991)
- Smells Like Teen Spirit (Recorded by Westwood One at Del Mar Fairgrounds, CA, on December 28, 1991)
- Been A Son (Recorded by VPRO-TV in Amsterdam, Holland, at Paradiso, November 25, 1991)
- Lithium (Recorded by VPRO-TV in Amsterdam, Holland, at Paradiso, November 25, 1991)
- Sliver (Recorded at the Civic Center, Springfield, MA, November 10, 1993)
- Spank Thru (Recorded by Stereoal at Il Castello Vi De Porta, Castello 41 Rome on November 19, 1991)
- Scentless Apprentice (Recorded for "MTV Live and Loud" at Pier 48, Seattle, WA, December 13, 1993)
- Heart Shaped Box (Recorded at the Great Western Forum, Los Angeles, CA, December 30, 1993)
- Milk It (Recorded at Seattle Center Arena, January 5, 1994)
- Negative Creep (Recorded at the Paramount Theatre, Seattle, WA, October 31, 1991)
- Polly (Recorded at the Astoria Theatre, London, December 5, 1989)
- Breed (Recorded at the Astoria Theatre, London, December 5, 1989)
- tourette's (Recorded by Fujisankei Communications International Inc. in Reading, England, at the Reading Festival on August 30, 1992)
- Blew (Recorded by VPRO-TV in Amsterdam, Holland, at Paradiso, November 25, 1991)
Side D contains rantings
Side A – MVJG-32001A
Side B – MVJG-32001B 2
Side C – MVJG 32002A
Side D – MVJG-32002B